Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Little Ladybug!

Lots of parents have a mascot or theme for their baby. My inquisitive brother asked me the other day what Emma's "animal" would be. I hadn't really thought about it yet, so I told him I would get back to him on it. I have friends that have used butterflies, giraffes, cows, puppies, frogs, and even certain Disney characters, but none of those worked for me. A monkey came to mind at first, but since we affectionately call our puppies "monkey", it wouldn't be right to call our sweet Emma that too!



But while I was outside the other day, it hit me literally, a lady bug landed on me and I realized.... her little mascot should be a lady bug. Not quite an "animal" but close enough. I was so excited to ask Brandon if he agreed, and he did. I don't think I even explained to him the significance, or why I was so happy about it! As most of our friends and family know, we have had a rough few years. We lost Momma 3 1/2 years ago, and as we've alluded to on here, for the past two we have been pretty discouraged that we would be able to conceive a child and had been on the infertility rollercoaster. Many tears have been shed wishing my mom was here to listen and encourage me as we went through all of this. Once, for her birthday, the last one she would have, I made her a special cake. She and Dad were going to be spending the weekend with dear friends, and I wanted her to have a pretty cake to enjoy. I made her a red velvet cake and made cute chocolate lady bugs to go around it. It was more than I normally did, but I am so glad that I spent the extra time that year, even if they did melt a little on the car ride there! After we lost Momma, I started noticing lady bugs when I would miss her the most. Keeping it my little secret, I don't even think I told Brandon, I knew that Momma was close by whenever I would see one. Once, when leaving a disappointing doctor's visit there was one sitting on my car door. Countless times I have had them land on me, and a sweet feeling of Momma's presence would pass over me. But they have been out in droves since we found out we were finally pregnant! As we worried about her in the beginning, I would see them outside, even though it was only January or February! Just today I saw 10 while taking the pups outside. There was one sitting on my bedroom floor yesterday. It makes my heart so happy to see them so it only seems right that we call Emma our little lady bug! It does help that red and black will match her room perfectly (I will post my decor for her room soon) and that often they are seen with polka dots.

So Brady, I hope that sets your mind at ease, she has an "animal".

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Perfect. I love it!

The Brackeens said...

My niece also had ladybugs and it's so cute. That's a great idea. And what a special thing for her grandmother looking down on her from Heaven.